My purpose with this assignment was to try to begin replacing fear in this country, with empowerment. When Trump's decision to rescind DACA was made public, I felt the urgent need to disseminate as much information as possible to as many people as I could, about the facts.
In this assignment (which could be modified to be short or lengthy), students are exposed to one, of many, resources they can access at any time to understand their rights. My hope is that students will pass on what they learn to friends, family, community -- anyone and everyone)
My hope is that teachers from ALL subject areas can download it and edit it to fit the needs of their own curriculum at any point in a teaching unit.
How I used this assignment in my class:
• I created this assignment as a 20 minute warm up at the start of class and tied it so being able to "Think Like A Scientist."
• Students completed the assignment individually and privately using their electronic devices, and submitted it through my Google Classroom.
• I placed no pressure on students to explain why they chose their topic because I wanted them to be free of their fears of possible exposure.
• To close, I made a brief announcement about how to download and print "Know Your Rights Cards" that can be carried in your wallet or purse at all times.
Some cross curricular and topics that may tie in to the subject you teach:
• Civil Rights
• Critique of media
• Current events
• Human Rights
• Making sense of the world
• Sex / Gender
• Women's Rights