This Smart Notebook file contains 26 questions with solutions for Algebra I.
The categories include
• Quadratic Graphs,
• Solving Quadratic Equations,
• Complete the Square,
• Quadratic Equations,
• Comparing Functions.
The questions in each category are valued at 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 points.
Here is how the game works:
• Suppose a student selects “Quadratic Equations” for 400.
• The student taps the value of the 400 and the question appears: “Use any method to find the solutions to the equations x^2-x=6.”
• Students could be given white boards to record their answer to the question.
• When every student has held up their white board and revealed their answer, someone could tap on “answer” to reveal the solution to the question: The solution shows three different approaches that could have been used to find that x = 3 or -2.
• To return to the Q and A Board someone should tap on “Back”.
• When you return to the game board, someone should move the “Used” marker to the last question. As students are selecting categories and values, there is a hidden bonus question on the board. Students should first make a wager just like they do in the real game on TV. Once the wager has been placed, someone should tap on “To Bonus Question”. After students have recorded their answer to the bonus question on their white boards, they should reveal their answers.
• To confirm the answer to the Bonus Question, someone should tap on “answer”. Then it is time to return to the Q and A game board by tapping on “back.”
• When all the questions have been chosen (all the questions have been labeled as Used) or the allotted time for the activity has been reached, it is time to choose the Final Question. Again students can make a wager just like they do on TV.
• It is time to tally up the points to see who has won.
Any time there is a choice on the bottom of the screen to go “Back” you can tap “Back” to return to the Q and A board. The questions used in this q and a game are based upon the material in Larson, Boswell, Kanold, and Stiff’s Algebra I (Chapter 9).
This same file is available in my store as a powerpoint file.
If you don’t own Smart Notebook Software, but you have a projection devise in your classroom you can use the web based version of Smart Notebook available at http://express.smarttech.com to run the Q and A game. Make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, run the Notebook Express. Open the Smart Notebook file and use the game as described above.