A Picture book + Snow + STEM = A Wonderful Winter Read Aloud Experience
by Jacqueline Briggs Martin and illustrated by Mary Azarian is a wonderful picture book about a man who was devoted to solving the mystery of snowflakes. The Caldecott honored book provides a great way to integrate literature into engineering, science, technology, art, and mathematics while learning about a citizen scientist whose photographs and discoveries are still used today. His life provides wonderful examples of perseverance, problem solving and following one’s passions.
With this packet we have the following activities to support your reading of
- Summary of
- Reading - Discussion Questions
- Writing a Description of an Illustration- Design a Snowflake
- Science Investigation – Ice and Salt Observation
- Technology- Links for Creating an Online Snowflake
- Engineering Exploration – Building an Insulation Box for Ice
- Art – Creating a Borax Crystal Snowflake
- Math – Snowman Measurements
- Classroom Support Resources – Books and a Poster
- Student STEM Group Jobs
- Inquiry Questions
- Engineering Design Process Poster and Teacher Guide
We have included teacher notes and student pages. With a few easy to obtain supplies you will have all you need for a fun winter book study. We love the story of
and we think you and your students will too!
series combines picture books with science, technology, engineering, and math activities for your classroom.
Three other books in our series includes:
We also have other literary connections with fairy tales, nursery rhymes and classic chapter books. They can be found on our TpT store in the Literature and STEM category.
Want to be notified when we add more STEM activity packets to our series? Be the first to know about our discounts, freebies, and new product launches.
•Look for the green star near the top of any page within our store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about this store. ☺