Snowflake Bentley, by Jacqueline Briggs Martin, is the true story of a young man’s passion to discover how to capture and share the beauty of snowflakes. It’s a great read-aloud on many levels: The story of Willie “Snowflake” Bentley teaches little listeners to “stick with it” when it comes to following their dreams, lending itself beautifully to teaching such Growth Mindset concepts as “grit” and “perseverance.” Also the story lends itself very well to teaching CCSS for Reading Informational Text 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8! The artwork is beautiful, and the side-panels—an interesting and unusual text feature--give scientific information about snowflakes and the challenge of capturing them on camera. Snowflake Bentley’s labor of love to photograph the unique and fleeting beauty of a snowflake is a fascinating and heartwarming story to share. Relax and enjoy this book right alongside your students, then use our text-dependent question card to model close reading and stimulate conversation. We’ve done all the work so you don’t have to! Also included in this packet is a Close Reading Worksheet for guided or independent review of the book, and a choice of snowflake outlines to decorate so that your students can share the beauty of their very own unique snowflake with friends and family.
Included in this product:
• 1 Text-dependent question (TDQ) card
• Close Reading study sheet
The Text-Dependent Question Card…
• Cites the Common Core State Standards used
• Includes pair-sharing prompts
• Guides students back into the text for answers
• Provides correct answers for teacher reference
• Prepares students for the Close Reading study sheet
The Close Reading Study Sheet…
• Reinforces “close reading” by guiding students back to the exact pages in the text where answers can be found
• Can be used for guided instruction or independent work
• Answer key may be used for handwriting practice or for modified work
Snowflake Art Pages…
• Choices! Students choose a snowflake, then decorate it with glitter or gems, and share its beauty with friends and family!