Are you ready to go on the search for clues to solve subtraction problems?
This Subtraction Detectives set can serve a variety of your classroom needs: math centers, morning work, homework, interventions, and much, much more!
Set up depends upon your intended use. If using as worksheets, print away! If you are looking to get multiple uses out of these pages, my recommendation is to print on white cardstock, place in page protectors, and gather some dry erase markers. Time to solve some mysteries! ... I mean ... subtraction problems!
My kindergartners use these pages primarily as a math center for subtraction practice. They simply read a subtraction story problem, draw a picture to solve it, and write an equation to match it. Since there are SO MANY problems to solve, students stay productively BUSY during math center time. FYI – All possible subtraction combinations from 0-10 are found within the 66 problems in this pack (and yes, I’m including the “families” like 9 - 2 = 7 and 9 - 7 = 2 – they’re all in here! WOW!).
As a K teacher, I have a hard time finding story problem activities my students can access successfully, so I included the following features in my set:
1. color-coding to break up each page into visual story problem “chunks;”
2. only 3 story problems per page;
3. clear work areas with visual representations of crayons and pencils for students to understand where pictures and equations should go;
4. font and color change of important information (i.e., the NUMBERS needed!) in each problem for struggling readers;
5. word choice and names in story problems appropriate for early primary students learning to read.
If your students enjoy Subtraction Detectives, don’t forget to check out my Addition Detectives set, too!
Enjoy solving those mathematical mysteries! ☺