This exciting activity starts off with a letter from a dig site in Egypt where archaeologists have unearthed an intact tomb. They need your students help to figure out which social class the people buried there belonged to! Using photographs of real tomb goods and reading-for-meaning components, students must build a case for the correct social level (and write their answer back to the archaeologists in the field).
• Air mail letter (color and black-and-white versions included)
• Info Sheets:
• What are Social Classes?
• Appearances in Ancient Egypt
• Things Found in the Tomb
• Images of Tomb Goods
• ESL/ accessible reader version (pages marked with borders, approx. two grade levels lower than original version)
• Teacher Notes and Extension Ideas
• Curriculum Links for Ontario (Grade 4), Quebec (Secondary I), and U.S. National Standards
Totally student-led • No teaching required!
Fantastic as group work, bell work, an extension assignment, history centers, bonus work, or quiet work when a substitute teacher is filling in.