This comprehensive packet has everything you will need to teach and practice topic maintenance skills and perspective taking in children from pre-k through grade 5! It includes pictures of both light and dark-skinned children and the graphics and topics are engaging to school-aged children. These activities facilitate self-awareness and understanding of the impact that being off-topic has on the listener as well as improves a child's ability to self-monitor their topic maintenance skills. This 62-page packet is packed with the following:
1. Teaching Story: "I can stay on topic." 9 pages, 1 page of instructions, color.
2. Social Scenarios: 6 pages of social scenarios with thought and word bubbles for your students to discuss and interpret how being off-topic affects the listener. Two of the pages allow you to individualize to your student's specific needs.
3. 1 page of topic transition statements to use as a teaching tool or as a visual when you practice conversations.
4. 2 pages: A rubric for tracking progress in topic maintenance skills and a page of sample IEP or therapy goals for topic maintenance.
5. "Stay, Don't Stray" game board for learning about and practicing on-topic statements with 32 cards and 1 page of cards for you to use to individualize to your needs. 7 pages, color & 1 page directions.
6. 24 pages of Tally Sheets with colorful and engaging pictures (2 per page) for practicing on-topic conversations by talking about theme-specific (fall, winter, spring, summer, daily routines, community helpers, kid's favorites and social scenes) pictures. Your students will learn to understand what it means to stay on topic when they practice with pictures. Also includes one black and white page to individualize. Suitable for readers and non-readers.
7. 3 pages of open-ended conversation tally sheets for readers (all black and white) and one black and white homework sheet.
If you have enjoyed my other packets for working on social and conversational skills, you will love this packet! Check out the preview pages with screenshots of all the pages in the packet.
This packet is also part of a bundle of 3 packets for working on conversational skills that is available at 20% off the price of the 3 products if purchased individually. Check out my Pragmatics Bundle for Conversational Skills
Looking for products to work on conversational skills with middle and high school students? You might like:
Let's talk about conversations: for middle and high school
Don't forget! If you purchase this packet, leave feedback at my store and receive credits to redeem towards purchases at any TPT store.
Copyright: 2014: Donna R. Miazga