When students are reading social issue books in book clubs, I require them to write reading responses for homework. This handout is what I give them to get started. It provides them with a variety of reading response ideas and options including:
1) Track a conflict that appears over time. Design a visual way of representing the conflict(s).
2) Track an issue through several scenes. Explain the examples of the issues and cite the text to support the examples.
3) Analyze the text of the (social issue) book that you are reading. Which perspective is the story being told from?
4) Write a critique (similar to a movie review) about how the author has presented a social issue in your book. Give multiple examples of how the issue appears in the text.
5) Pick two different characters and analyze their viewpoint/perspective about an issue or conflict in your book. Which character does the reader most side with? Why?
The reading response handout also includes a rubric for your use.
Please like my store if you liked this product : )