This best-selling packet includes a social story and activities for teaching conversation skills to middle and high school students. Students love viewing youtube videos and you'll love the worksheets (with answer keys) that align with the content in the videos! If you've liked my other "Let's Talk" packets about tone, personal space and emotions, you will love this 85 paged (plus 5 editable pages in powerpoint) packet. Clip art that appeals and features tweens and teens of various skin colors are used. Like the other "Let's Talk" packets, it includes activities for teaching AND practicing skills. Here's what you will receive in this in-depth packet:
- Summaries and links to 10 youtube videos on conversation skills and 8 corresponding black and white worksheets with answer keys. Topics of videos and worksheets include conversational reciprocity, joining a conversation, staying on topic, monopolizing conversations, picking up on social cues, being a "social fake," all body listening and more!
- A 13-page teaching story (some color) that defines "conversation" and discusses the unwritten rules of conversations, including behaviors that cultivate conversation, such as supportive comments and behaviors that destroy a conversation, such as lack of whole body listening. Many pages can also double as visuals to use during the conversation game!
- A Conversation Chaos Script, "Kevin discusses social media" with a worksheet and discussion points. Students read and analyze the conversation with a worksheet guide and then "redo" it.
- Counting Conversational Turns Activities for students who monopolize conversations or only discuss topics of high interest to them.
- The conversation game, an interactive game that includes 56 conversation topic cards (both simple and complex topics), 12 conversation cultivator cards and 12 conversation destroyer cards. Students practice various conversational skills and then guess what skill their peers were practicing!
- Some of the vocabulary surrounding conversational skills can be confusing for students with language impairments so I've included 3 worksheets (and answer keys) related to synonyms, antonyms, definitions and sentence creation.
- Also included: 1 page of CCSS addressed in this packet, a rubric for the teacher or therapist to use to measure progress in conversational skills, two versions of a student self-assessment of conversation skills and 1 page of a student goal-setting form so your student can participate in setting his/her own goals and reviewing their progress!
Added 9/2018: Editable conversation cultivator, conversation destroyer and conversation topic cards. Also added editable rubric and self-assessment of conversation skills form.
You will find this to be a comprehensive packet that covers multiple aspects of conversational skills and is fun for your teens and tweens.
You might also like:
Video Lesson: Detecting Sarcasm in Tone of Voice!
No Interrupting: Teaching Story, Middle and High School
Self-assessment Forms: Middle & High School
No Prep Social Skills & Emotions Bundle: MS HS
Boom Digital Task Cards: On or Off Topic? MS HS
You will need a zip extractor to open this zip file. If you want to edit the editable components, you will need powerpoint.
If you purchase it, please leave feedback on the product. When you leave feedback, you earn credits towards future TPT purchases at ANY store!!
ALL OF MY NEW PRODUCTS ARE HALF OFF FOR THE FIRST 48 HOURS FOLLOWING RELEASE. CLICK ON THE GREEN FOLLOW BUTTON TO BE NOTIFIED OF NEW PRODUCTS AND FREEBIES!
FOLLOW ON Instagram!
FOLLOW ON Facebook!