Teaching students to recognize emotions and develop empathy is the foundation of teaching social skills and character development. This resource makes it simple to introduce students to recognizing emotions in others and connecting it to their own experience.
This is a NO PREP and PAPERLESS discussion and journal activity. Project each template onto any white board to begin your discussion. Questions are embedded to help guide you.
If you wish, pages can be both by adding your own text and pictures), and also to write on.
These templates are EDITABLE Power Point files, meaning they have EDITABLE TEXT BOXES so that you can type your own text, sentence frames, questions, and word banks. You can add photos in the blank versions, too!
If you are looking for the RULES AND PROCEDURES version of this resource, you can find it by clicking here: Rules and Procedures Paperless Journal Prompts
These pages show students with various emotions. Students are prompted to look at facial expressions and body language to decide how the child in the photo is feeling. After that, students are prompted to guess what may be happening to the child to make them feel that emotions. They may connect this to a personal experience they have had, making them more likely to feel and understand empathy in others.
These pages have photos of various situations, and students are told a short story about what is happening in the pictures. Students are prompted to decide if they have ever experienced something similar, and to consider what they might do if it happened to them. By discussing these scenarios, students discover that others have similar experiences and emotions.
What if you have behavioural situations that are unique to YOUR classroom?
No problem - you can take a photo as situations occur in the classroom and use them as discussion topics and journal prompts. Just insert the pictures into the blank editable templates and add sentence frames if you wish.
TEACHER TIP! These printable journal pages are perfect to use Remind the students of your previous discussion and ask them to write or draw about it on the template. Or,
NOTE: Early Bird pricing is in effect now!
- Choose a social skills to write about (such as sharing toys or including others), and decide which differentiated template to use.
- Project the template onto any white board so students can see the photo.
- Use the embedded questions to guide your discussion; these will prompt students to make personal connections with the photo.
- Generate and write vocabulary in the word bank. This can be written on the write board or typed directly onto the editable template.
- Create your own sentence frames and vocabulary to reach the specific learning needs of your students. You can also leave the lines blank for advanced students to complete on their own.
- If you prefer, print any templates after adding text, or by deleting the text boxes first for blank templates.
- : Print out some templates to fill your literacy centers all year long! Students become independent writers using the familiar templates.
**Note: The sentence starters are not filled in for you because everyone has their own rules and procedures; they are editable so you can type in whatever is most effective for your classroom and also to address differentiation needs.
You can see the preview by clicking the button near the top of this page. Please look at the preview to see the details before purchasing to ensure this activity is right for your class.
These are PowerPoint files. Please ensure you have the correct programs to open and use them. If you have any trouble with downloading or printing, please read the help on this page: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Help
If you still need troubleshooting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and the TPT tech team will be happy to help you.
Larger bundles may be collected in a ZIP file. You can read more about this type of file by clicking HERE.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email me directly at email@example.com and I will do my best to address any issues so that you are happy with your purchase!
If you enjoy paperless products, you can view the following full year bundles!
- 200 DAILY SOCIAL SKILLS PROMPTS full year bundle of paperless lessons
- PRIMARY MATH full year bundle of paperless lessons
- READING AND INTERVENTION BINDER full year bundle of paperless lessons
- CLASS RULES AND PROCEDURES bundle of journal prompts to introduce and reinforce class rules and procedures
- EMOTIONS and GOOD CHOICES full year bundle of paperless lessons and journal prompts
- ANIMALS full year bundle of paperless lessons and journal prompts
Would you like to see a huge list of similar resources all on one page?
You can browse a big list of resources for:
Don't miss out on free and discounted clip art by keeping in touch!
Whimsy Workshop Teaching
This download allows for single classroom use only. If you know of other teachers who wish to have their own copy, you can click on extended licenses during the checkout process (at reduced prices), or email the product link to colleagues so they can purchase their own legal copy and receive any updates in the future. Thank you for respecting my TOU and hard work.
Original Resources and Illustrations ©S.Westby - Whimsy Workshop Teaching.com