Also included in
- Many of us have developed our social language abilities without much thought, which can make breaking down these complicated skills into easy to understand steps quite challenging. The activities in this bundle use a methodical approach to teach and evaluate common areas of social language deficits,$19.07$27.25Save $8.18
- Have you ever wondered where to begin teaching a pragmatic language skill? Or once you started, did you wonder how to teach that skill strategically? With this social communication bundle you won't feel like that any more! This bundle of social skills activities strategically guides you through the$28.88$41.25Save $12.37
- Have you ever struggled to create pragmatic language activities for a speech therapy, social skills, or Autism group? Many of us have developed our social communication abilities without much thought, which can make breaking down these complicated skills into easy to understand steps, challenging. W$75.00$110.40Save $35.40
Do your social skills students need a little help making new friends? Are you struggling to figure out how to teach this complicated skill? I can help you! This social story activity strategically breaks down the friend making process into 8 easy to understand steps. Then, students use the companion activities to practice what they have learned in a structured environment, leaving you feeling confident and productive.
This resource has two main components:
- The story teaches eight basic steps to making a new friend. It features simple, easy to read language to improve understanding of the concepts being taught. There is also a space on each page for the student to draw a picture which helps him or her make a personal connection to the story.
The steps outlined in the story are:
- Smile and Say Hello
- Be Polite
- Find Common Interests
- Listen and Ask Questions
- Spend Time Together
- Resolve Disagreements
- Apologize for Hurt Feelings
- Be Patient and Keep Trying
2. There are 12 pages of activities designed to accompany the story. Each activity gives the student a chance to practice the skills outlined in the story.
- Check For Understanding: This is a simple quiz that reviews the story.
- Smile and Say Hello: This activity teaches the importance of a good first impression. Students are given scenarios and must decide if a good or bad first impression was made.
- Being Polite: There are two activities for this skill. The first activity helps student gain a better understanding of the vocabulary word polite. The second activity has students create a list of polite and impolite actions.
- Listening and Asking Questions: Students are provided with two pages of conversation prompts. They use the prompts to practice the skills of listening and asking follow up questions.
- Finding Common Interests: There are two activities for this skill. The first activity shows a picture of two people thinking of their interests. Students must identify which interests are shared. The second activity prompts students to identify their own interests and then practice asking if a friend has the same interests.
- Spending Time Together: This activity gives students the common interests, but prompts them to decide what activities the friends could do to spend time together.
- Resolving Disagreements: This page provides scenarios of disagreements your students might face. They are prompted to explain how they could resolve the disagreement.
- Apologizing for Hurt Feelings: Students practice making a specific apology for pretend scenarios and make a plan so they don't hurt their friends feelings in the future.
- Friendship Follow Up: Designed to be used multiple times, this page has the student give examples of how he or she used the skills from the social story in real life.
If you are interested in this resource, I think you will also love my "How to Have A Conversation: Social Story Activity." Having a foundation in conversation skills will make it easier for students to learn how to make friends.
You might also enjoy this hands on project as a different way to target these skills:
***DISTANCE LEARNING UPDATE*** I have used TpT's digital resource creator to add a digital version of this resource to this file! If you purchase this product, you will have access to BOTH the digital and printable versions of this resource. I have added additional instructions and text boxes to the digital version for your convenience!
Click to Connect
Thank you so much,
Jessica, The Gift of Gab