A comprehensive and tiered approach to teaching children who have personal space issues that are interfering with their social and academic functioning. Children with autism, ADHD, mental health issues and other developmental challenges often have difficulties discerning social rules, such as personal space and nonverbal communication. Using engaging graphics from a variety of talented clip artists, you will get two teaching stories (pre-k to grade 3 and grades 4-5) to teach the concept of the "personal space bubble." I've also included tiered supporting activities to use to further your student's understanding of personal space rules.
Here is what is included in this packet;
1. A teaching story in both color AND black and white for pre-k to grade 3.
This story not only teaches the concept of personal space but also includes how students should be using their language to interact with others instead of touching them, It presents personal space issues on the carpet, at a desk, and in lines. Some of the pages of the story can also be printed out, laminated and used as visual reminders to expected personal space behaviors. If you print these pages, you can pick and choose which ones are needed for your students.
2. A teaching story in color and b&w for grades 4-5. Clip art of older students is used for this version and it is more text-heavy than the younger version.
3. A personal space sorting activity where students sort pictures of children respecting and invading the personal space of others. Includes two sorting mats, smaller pictures, and instructions. For non-readers.
4. Three thought bubble activities in color that depict students invading the personal space of others on the carpet (use for rest time, carpet time or story time) in a line and at a desk. Have your student(s) tell what the child is saying in each picture. These activities are designed to improve perspective taking, ie "what are other students thinking about me when I am in their personal space?" For writers.
5. Three sets of tiered personal space worksheets. One tier requires drawing (for non-readers and non-writers) and the other tier requires both drawing and writing abilities. Black and white with 1 page of directions.
6. Black and white brag tags to use to help students generalize their knowledge into the classroom setting. Catch them making good personal space decisions and give them a brag tag.
I've also included a page of other ideas and activities that you can use to help your students or clients respect the personal space of their peers.
You might also be interested in this bundle of activities for working on conversational skills that is 20% off the price of the three products if purchased individually!
Check out Pragmatics Bundle for Conversational Skills
Friendly Freddy: Personal Space Fix-its
Looking for personal space materials for middle and high school?
Let's talk about personal space: middle and high school
Be sure to check out the detailed preview page to see all contents of this packet. If you purchase it please leave feedback on it at my store and you will earn tpt credits that can be used towards a purchase at any store on the TPT website.
Copyright: 2014 Donna Miazga, Revised 9-17