Working with students that have rigid or perseverative thought patterns, language, actions and/or behaviors is one of my biggest challenges as a Speech Pathologist because it involves metacognition, helping a child think about how they think! This packet is a companion piece to my teaching story of the same name. It offers activities, (50 pages) that help you introduce and treat your students on the autism spectrum, with ADHD and/or mental health problems or those that without a diagnosis that show impulsive language or actions. This is designed to be used by a Speech Pathologist, Guidance Counselor, Occupational Therapist, Special Education Teacher and/or School Psychologist. It can also be used by a parent with guidance from any of the above professionals! It's perfect for a social skills group, individual therapy, group therapy, lessons for centers or behavioral interventions.
The goal of these activities is to help students think about how they think, talk and act and that their thoughts, words, and actions leave an impression with others. It teaches and uses the vocabulary of "thought" and "talking" bubbles (which I first learned about on Jill Kuzma's website www.jillkuzma.wordpress.com) and introduces the concept of "pictures" which are memories that people have in their heads about us. It also offers lessons on how to cope when a child is stuck.
The clip art is a mixture of light and dark-skinned children from both genders. The activity pages are mostly in color with a white background but print clearly in black and white ink. Worksheets and directions are in black and white.
Here's a summary of activities:
1. "STUCK? What's that mean? This activity offers concrete references to help a child understand what it means to be "stuck" in their thoughts, words or actions.
2. Thought bubbles: stuck or not stuck? Review different thought bubbles. Are they stuck? The "not stuck" thought bubbles teach that people have many different thoughts, we don't just think about one favorite thing. Individualize this activity to the specific needs of your students.
3. Word Bubbles: stuck or not stuck? Review different word bubbles. Are they stuck talking about only one thing or do they use their language to discuss topics of interest to others and ask other's questions? You can individualize this activity to the specific needs of your students.
4. Actions: Stuck or not stuck? What pictures (memories) do we want our friends to have of us in their minds? Pictures include children sharing and not sharing, taking turns and not taking turns and more!! Use to address repetitive actions.
5. What do I do when I'm stuck? Help children problem solve and choose the best solution for three children that are stuck in their thoughts, words, and actions. Teach ways that children can help themselves and develop a plan to become "not stuck." Tiered worksheets for writers and non-writers.
Includes 21 picture cards of intervention strategies in color and black and white.
6. A collage of stuck. Great group activity!
On January of 2016, I added two worksheets and pages of visuals of calming strategies and strategies to use when students are stuck on talking about one topic. These are in color and black and white. On 8/17 this product was completely updated and tiered worksheets added.
This packet can be used either with or without my teaching story,
Sometimes, we get Stuck! Social Story
You can save 20% by purchasing this product, the activity packet WITH the teaching story in the following bundle:
Bundle: Sometimes, we get Stuck: Teaching Story and Activity Packet
You might also be interested in this bundle of activities (20% off the price if purchased individually) for working on conversational skills:
Pragmatics Bundle for Conversational Skills
(c) 2014: Donna Miazga Updated 8/17
Remember, if you leave a rating and feedback after purchasing this product, you can earn TPT credits towards purchases at any store on the TPT website.
ALL OF MY NEW PRODUCTS ARE HALF OFF FOR 48 HOURS FOLLOWING NEW RELEASE. CLICK ON THE GREEN FOLLOW BUTTON TO BE NOTIFIED OF NEW PRODUCTS AND FREEBIES!
FOLLW ME ON Facebook!
FOLLOW ME ON Instagram!