Personal Space Camp is a book by Julia Cook that teaches young students about personal space and how not to be space invaders. I have a hand puppet that I used with this story and Sally (my puppet) is a space invader and must learn about other's personal bubble. The hula hoop is a good visual aid to explain close and not so close distances. Worksheets, color sheets and a match game are also in the packet.
1. Hand puppet to assist with story and to be a space invader while telling the story.
2. Hula Hoop to use as a bubble to demonstrate personal space.Teacher (then student) steps inside to explain personal space and how we move back to create a greater distance for strangers and move up for a smaller distance between family and friends.
3. Bubbles to blow to illustrate various sizes of bubbles as a visual comparative .
4. A rope with knots placed arm length apart. My kindergarten teacher uses this technique first week of school with her students.
5. Worksheets and Activities
6. I ask my K-2 teachers for their class rules to place on the game cards.
ASCA Counseling Standards
A:A1 Improve Academic Self-concept:
A1.5 Identify attitudes and behaviors that lead to successful learning
PS:A2 Acquire Interpersonal Skills
PS:A1.6 Distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate behavior
PS:A1.7 Recognize personal boundaries, rights and privacy needs
PS:A1.8 Understand the need for self-control and how to practice it
PS:A1.9 Demonstrate cooperative behavior in groups