Social Studies Project - Create a Country Geography & Map Skills PBL
What educators are saying
Also included in
- Incorporate more project-based learning in your upper elementary or middle school classroom! Each of these projects is aligned with Common Core standards and touches on several different academic areas.Design a Restaurant: Math, Writing, DesignCreate A Country: Geography, Writing, ArtPeepsPrice $16.00Original Price $20.00Save $4.00
- You want your students engaged in learning about the world, but they don't always seem as eager as you do. This BUNDLE is a complete Social Studies and READING RESEARCH UNIT that blends a lot of skills for your students and engages them in research that they will enjoy. Everything you need is inclPrice $20.00Original Price $25.50Save $5.50
Students will demonstrate an understanding of political and physical geography and map skills by creating a fact booklet. They will create an original country based around a common theme, writing its history and drawing a map to scale.
Are you looking for a fun and engaging project based learning activity for GEOGRAPHY or MAP SKILLS in your Social Studies classroom? This Create a Country PBL activity will have your students enthralled as they apply what they've learned in a creative way.
The PBL has students using geography, writing, and art. Students review their map skills by creating a unique country with 20 landforms and bodies of water, all built around a central theme. Social Studies joins ELA when they write that country’s history. There’s always a place for “Cheesyland,” “StarWarstopia,” and “Foxington” on the globe!
"My students loved this more than I ever could have imagined!! I used this as a culmination activity after we finished studying human geography. Students are asked to choose a theme. The country they create is based on their theme. Creating maps, flags, a culture, etc. all related to their chosen theme. They loved it. It has been a long time since I have been so satisfied with final products created by students, but this activity did it!! Two thumbs up!"
Create a Country Social Studies Project Based Learning Activity for Geography and Map Skills includes:
✔ Teacher Directions with pictures
✔ Student Directions
✔ Theme Pages Graphic Organizer
✔ Your country's history Graphic Organizer pages
✔ Geography terms booklet
✔ Geography terms Teacher Guide with pictures and real-world descriptions
✔ Rubrics for the map and written history
★ Write a "Day in the Life of" diary entry
★ Write a national anthem
★ Write a pledge
★ Create a flag
★ Create money
You might also like these other PBLS:
Design a Restaurant Project Based Learning
Explore the USA Project Based Learning
Ancestry Heritage Project Based Learning | PBL
How you might use this PBL
- Use it at the beginning of the year when you teach geography and map skills
- Use it during the year for a creative take on informational writing
- Use it at the end of the year as a hands-on culminating activity for Social Studies
1. Earn TpT credits to use for future purchases! After you log in, go to the "My Purchases" page and download this product. You'll see a "Provide Feedback" button. Click on that, rate the product and leave a comment. It's that simple!
2. Like what you see? Click on the star next to my store logo to follow me!