Looking to incorporate Socratic discussions into your classroom?
I've been doing them in my classroom for years, and I've found it a great strategy in getting students to engage deeply with the text. While there are many different methods of doing Socratic Seminar groupings in the classroom, I've found multiple small groups discussing at the same time works best with a room full of rambunctious teens. The materials are designed to that model, though they can easily be used in other formations.
- Structured note prep sheets for students-- this can easily be replicated on students' own paper
- Student moderator responsibility sheets
- Sample scoring sheet and rubric
- Student reflection sheet (to be completed after the discussion)
- Sample discussion questions
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License