Are you tired of discussions in which your students speak often but say little?
Are you new to the idea of discussion and anxious to discover what it might mean to teach your students to think and then set them free?
Do you wish that there was a way to set clear discussion goals using real data so that you and your students could work toward the depth and richness of discussion that you've always wanted for them?
Are you tired of collecting hash marks and then grinding them through the uncertain math that leads to a grade?
If any of these questions resonate for you, then the Socratic Seminar Data Manager just might be the solution you have been looking for. This comprehensive, easily customized system, housed in the universally compatible spreadsheets of "Google Sheets," can solve all of these problems.
With it, you can:
* Define a clear path of leveled expectations for student comments
* Easily track students' leveled comments
* Provide real-time, individualized performance feedback
* Automatically calculate grades based on ongoing data input
* Fully customize the grading system, including differentiation
* Encourage effective discussion with grade-based incentives
* Instantly generate graphs based on discussion data
* Have students create goals using individualized data graphs
* Use teacher data graphs to plan instruction
* Analyze students' progress toward Common Core standards
In my own teaching, this system has given me the ability to take Socratic Discussions and transform them from an interesting, once-in-awhile diversion into a tightly standards-based solution to the challenges of the Common Core. It is now a fundamental part of how I run my class all year long.
Through it, I have seen students grow in their abilities to independently wrestle with complex literature, grapple with the abstractions of theme, and begin to develop command of the academic language that is so vital to successful close reading. I have had the great joy of watching academic rigor soar to new heights in my classroom.
In recent times, I have seen this system used effectively by my colleagues in in domains outside of the English Language Arts:
* Social Studies
* More to come...
Please take a look at the preview file, which includes complete instructions for this system and will allow you to fully examine the product before making the decision to purchase it.
Once downloaded, you will receive a short PDF file that will give you links to the following:
* Socratic Discussion Data Manager
* Socratic Discussion Data Graphs--STUDENT
* Socratic Discussion Data Graphs--TEACHER
* "Quick Start" Instructions for the Data Manager
* "Detailed" Instructions for the Data Manager
* "Data Graph" Instructions
May you experience great joy in turning your well-prepared students loose in the garden of thought that you are charged with tending.
When it works, it's an awesome ride.