Encourage your students’ active analytical efforts! Providing a framework for analytical creativity, Socratic Seminar nurtures deep thought through dialogue while encompassing many of the Common Core State Standards for reading, speaking, and listening. This strategy targets competence in analysis aligned with common core standards and expectations.
To that end, this resource includes categories with model questions to assist students in their development of pertinent inquiries written to include common core standards. Knowing his or her students and the texts, the teacher checks off the areas that students address. The practice of prewriting questions and answers assists students in beginning analyses prior to the seminar.
The lesson works with multiple texts and is helpful in comparison of texts. As students become comfortable with the format, they have the opportunity to grow in their competence in literary analysis through the year.
“Socratic Seminar Teacher Observation Summary” available HERE
as a free classroom form.
This guide is written for grades 9-12.
· Step by step plan for each lesson day (exclusive of annotation instruction)
· Suggestions for differentiation
· Random selection tool for pairing and assigning students
· Guide and model for question development (aligned with CCSS)
· Observation guide for peers
· Objective assignment for 2nd day seminar participants
· Exit slip reflection guide
Activities and plans for 2-3 days
Thanks for visiting our store!
© 2013 by Jax & Jake. All Rights Reserved.