Take the mystery and mess out of whole-class discussion with this structured approach to Socratic Seminar. This pack includes everything you need to implement my time-tested approach.
In the Teacher Instructions document, I detail the reasons why I love Socratic Seminar, how to build a "Socratic Seminar Kit" and use a token system with discussion, how to set up and conduct a class discussion using any text or topic, how to grade the discussion easily and fairly, and even what do when students are absent. I've also included a Power Point presentation you can use as you explain the procedure to your students!
Socratic Seminar Pack Includes:
- Teacher Instructions document
- Socratic Prep Sheet student handout
- Outer Circle Notes handout (2 different versions to choose from)
- fully editable Power Point presentation with guidelines for students (and PDF copy)
- Grading Notes Chart to use during the discussion for easy grading
- Socratic Seminar Guidelines for Students handout
- Alternate Assignment handout for absent students
- "CPR" Slips to resuscitate a stalled discussion - a set of questions to use with any novel, a set to use with any article, and a blank copy to write your own questions
This Socratic Seminar pack can be used with any class in grades 8-12, and with advanced / gifted students in grades 6-7. It works well in any course, especially with an accompanying article or novel. Socratic Seminar can be used to introduce ideas at the start of a unit, to analyze a text at any point in a unit, or to assess overall learning at the end of a unit. This pack is perfect for any of these uses, and it can be used year after year for multiple texts, units, or grade levels!