This Socratic Seminar preparation sheet will force students to explore the question: "Should the United States allow the entry of refugees from other countries such as Syria?" This Socratic Seminar was designed to correspond with my class unit on the poetic novel INSIDE OUT AND BACK AGAIN, but could be used as part of any class exploring immigration and refugees. The form requires students to initially answer the question, collect reasoning on behalf of both sides of the issue, make notes regarding class discussion points, and ultimately requires students to rethink the issue to see if their opinion of changes or evolved.
• Student Socratic Seminar Prep Sheet
• Resource Links
FUN TIP: Record student discussion points using the app POPSICLE STICKS! This is a great way to incorporate technology into your classroom and maintain a record of points for each student during a class discussion! (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/popsicle-sticks-unlimited/id1171532604?mt=8) - I am in no way paid to promote or support this product. I just LOVE using it in my classroom!
Other Inside Out and Back Again Resources:
• Vocabulary Word Splash Activity
• ENTIRE Planned Unit - Ready to go, NO PREP teaching! Complete with Learning Targets, link to all resources, etc.
• Socratic Seminar: Topic - REFUGEES"
• Theme Essay Based on Novel Inside Out and Back Again
• A Scavenger Hunt for each part of the book. Fun and Engaging. Great alternative to a novel packet and allows for some friendly competition if you wish!