This resource is an all-you-need guide to using Socratic Seminars in your classroom now. This booklet is meant to give you a general structure for Socratic Seminars that you can apply to any topic, text or unit. This is not a specific Socratic Seminar using a specific text.
This Starter Kit includes:
- Description of Socratic Seminar Roles
- A Fishbowl Socratic Seminar Protocol
- A Socratic Seminar Agenda with suggested pacing
- An Entry Ticket to Socratic Seminar that can be adapted to fit any text or topic
- A Rubric
- Text-Based Language Sentence Starters to support students who struggle with discussions.
- A student reading on discussion skills
- Three example discussions (both good and bad examples included)
- A seating chart with short-hand notations that can be used for grading and feedback during Socratic Seminar discussions.
- Post-discussion reflection and self-assessment sheets.