Watch your students gain confidence through student-led discussions! This two-week complete discussion unit includes everything you need to teach communication skills and implement student-led Socratic seminars! Students learn to think metacognitively about their communication skills, set communication goals, hold multiple student-led Socratic seminars, set goals for growth, and reflect upon their learning.
Wait!!! This is included in my Year Long 9th Grade English Bundle:
Looking for discussion texts and questions? Check out this Socratic Seminar 10-Pack!
Click here for more Socratic Seminar Resources!
⭐ 9th Grade English Curriculum Bundle
This complete unit plan teaches students the keys to communication with the acronym PHOGA and reinforces learning with a TED Talk on communication. Students hold one teacher-led discussion & four student-led Socratic Seminars. Students learn how to ask higher-level questions and how to evaluate their own communication skills.
Student-Led Socratic Seminar Topics Include:
• Thought-provoking quotes from Machiavelli’s The Prince
• Odysseus’s refusal of Kalypso’s offer of immortality
• Chimamanda Adichie’s TED Talk on stereotypes
• The Pledge of Allegiance and its history
As a bonus, text and questions from Benjamin Franklin’s Autobiography and Aesop’s Fable The Dog and the Wolf are included for teachers who want to switch out a text or extend the unit.
Please contact me with questions and visit my store for additional teaching materials: Love and Let Lit
Check out some of my other resources by clicking the links below:
Romeo and Juliet Reading Guide Bundle
Three Week Poetry Unit
Expository Writing Unit
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and products:
• Look for the green star next to my profile picture and click it to become a follower. You’ll receive updates when I post products, freebies and discounts.
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page. Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits you can use to lower the cost of your future purchases. Thank you!
Created By: Jacque Decker of Love and Let Lit