This mini-unit contains 10 pages of printable activities designed to allow students to explore soil concepts. Activities include:
* What's in YOUR Dirt? - Students examine 2 different soil and 2 different sand samples to compare.
* The Air Inside - An experiment in which students determine whether soil or sand contains more air.
* Will it Hold Water? - An experiment in which students determine whether sand or soil will retain water better.
* Label Earth's Layers - Students label an illustration of the layers of the earth.
* Earth's Layers - A reading comprehension activity in which students read a passage about the earth's layers and create a clay model of the earth. Includes comprehension questions (approximately 3rd grade reading level).
* Two versions of an assessment.
* Answer keys for all activities.
This mini-unit is part of a larger unit on soil, rocks, and minerals. If you have purchased the larger unit, you do not need to purchase this mini-unit, as it is contained in its entirety in the full unit. For the full unit on Soil, Rocks, and Minerals, see the following product:
Soil, Rocks, and Minerals Unit
by Rebecca Bettis
soil, dirt, earth science, investigations, experiments