Soil – A Fourth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 4th grade level instructional presentation
It includes: a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with two fully interactive slides that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook.
The presentation includes:
• Introduction soil terminology (humus, horizon, soil profile, topsoil, subsoil, pore spaces, porous, and permeability).
• Explanation for the make-up of soil
• Introduction to horizons
• The properties of soil for sand, silt, and clay
• Four factors affecting soil
• The importance of soil types
The interactive/review slides and printables:
• Activity one has students identifying terminology through a matching activity. Terms included are humus, horizon, soil profile, topsoil, subsoil, pore spaces, porous, and permeability.
• Activity two has students moving identification terms into a picture of a soil profile. Terms include: horizon A, horizon, B, horizon C, horizon D, topsoil, subsoil, weathered bedrock, and bedrock.