- Google Drive™ folder
Teach Sojourner Truth's famous "Ain't I a Woman" speech with these set of activities focusing on ethos, pathos, logos, allusion, and juxtaposition. Students will use guided annotation, show their critical thinking skills with a one pager, and close read the speech using graphic organizers. This is a must have to teach rhetoric for Black History Month and Women's History Month!
This product includes both print and digital versions to fit your distance learning needs. Perfect for asynchronous, synchronous, and hybrid learning.
You will receive PDFs in a Google Folder and Digital Google Slides of these activities. Student editions and an answer keys with rubric are included.
Included in this resource are:
- Copy of Speech (Print and Digital)
- Mini Biography (Print and Digital)
- Students will be able to learn some background information on Sojourner Truth in order to read the speech with context
- Title Analysis (Print and Digital)
- Students will close read the title and analyze it word by word, thinking critically about what each word can mean about the author and why the individual words mean
- Two Column Notes and Annotation Guide (Print and Digital)
- Students will annotate and highlight the speech after the first read, looking for ethos, pathos, logos, and other rhetorical devices. Then, they will sort them into an abbreviated two-column notes organizer and draw connections between ideas.
- SOAPSTone Graphic Organizer (Print and Digital)
- Students will analyze subject, occasion, audience, purpose, speaker, and tone in this graphic organizer, providing commentary to support their claims and evidence.
- Rhetorical Device Graphic Organizer (Print and Digital)
- Students will pull examples of rhetorical devices from the speech and sort them, determining what the purpose of the rhetorical device is, and how it advances the purpose of the speech.
- 5 One Pager Templates (Print and Digital)
- No need to advanced artistic skills. Students have a choice of five templates to create a one pager summarizing their understandings and demonstrating their critical thinking skills in a creative way.
- 1 Rubric (PDF only)
- An optional three point rubric is included for the one pager activity.
- 3 Answer Keys (PDF only)