This engaging STEM challenge is a fun way to learn about pioneering women in history and incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or afterschool program! Students use the engineering design process and ways to harness the sun's energy by constructing a solar oven to heat s'mores! This challenge also highlights Maria Telkes, the inventor of the first system to heat a home with solar power. History, science, engineering, technology(optional), and math-- it is all included along with teacher instructions and student handouts.
This hands-on activity is an engaging design challenge that allows students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect math topics to real-world applications. As a student-driven assignment, the purpose of the teacher is to act as a facilitator. You will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building a bridge to hold a cup of pennies. Our students have loved this activity, and we know yours will too!
This packet includes:
- Detailed teachers guide with links to resources
- Historical profile of Maria Telkes
- Science Handouts on Solar Energy and Heat Transfer
- Student handouts to guide them through the design process
- Student recording sheet for each step of the process
- Grading Rubric
- Math connection problems including ratios, percentages, measurements, area, and volume
About STEM Challenges:
STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or afterschool program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own balloon rocket device.
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥