Also included in
- In this Project Based Learning Science and Social Studies Bundle you will have what you need to teach using PBL this year! Creating these units are time consuming for any teacher and this bundle will save you hours and hours of work, planning and your time. It includes a Plant Unit, Solar System Uni$42.00$60.00Save $18.00
- This is the BUNDLE of our Project Based Learning Solar System Unit, it includes the original PBL, the digital components and some additional activities. Using this interactive Project Based Learning Solar System Unit, you will guide your students into learning about the phases of the moon, role of t$22.00$44.00Save $22.00
Using this interactive Project Based Learning Solar System Unit, you will guide your students into learning about the phases of the moon, role of the moon, the moon's orbit, role of the sun, the size of the sun compared to other objects in the solar system, the sun's shadows and the effects of sunrise and sunset. It is complete with a final project for students to use the information they have learned about. This unit has everything you need to teach about the solar system. It is a complete unit to last at least 5 weeks of Science. It even includes art projects!
It includes Step by Step lesson plans that are very detailed in guiding the teacher. It has close reading articles about the moon and the sun, they are differentiated to two levels, Colored (Black and White too) Mini Books about the sun and the moon (Differentiated), comprehension questions abut the close reading articles, technology extensions, a lesson using shadows, interactive solar system orbiting lesson, observations about sunrise and sunset, Moon Journals, Sunrise and Sunset journal, the seasonal patterns of sunrise and sunset, Oreo Moon Phases project, art project about the sun, writing book project in which they write about seasons.
Students get a chance to mix Science, ELA and math. There are plenty of "Need to Know" ideas that drive the students to want to learn more. They have a lot of choice in the unit from picking their group job, what to put in their project books, which type of project book to make and how to present it to others. Students will be working with Significant Content including NGSS Standards, Common Core ELA and Math Standards. Students will be using 21st century skills such as working in a group, collaborating, doing research together and problem solving. Students will be taking a deep dive into in depth inquiry where they will research with a group, ask other groups for advice and discuss problems that come up with their project. Students will answer a driving question throughout the unit and with their final project which is taking on the role of a scientist to create a book that answers the questions of how our solar system affects our seasons. Students have a few opportunities to have revision and reflection where classmates evaluate their presentation and give critique to help improve. They end the project with a presentation in front of an audience of their peers, adults or younger students.
This unit follows 1st grade NGSS Science Standards as well as 1st and 2nd Grade Math and ELA Standards
- Step by Step Lesson Plans for 21 days
- Mini Books About the Moon & Sun (Differentiated)
- Close Reading Articles About the Moon and the Sun
- Comprehension Questions
- Technology Ideas
- Phases of the Moon Lessons
- Moon’s Orbit Lessons
- Moon Phases Activity using Cookies
- Moon Journal
- Sunrise/Sunset Lessons & Journal
- Interactive Notebook Pages
- Extension Activities
- How Big is the Sun Interactive Lesson
- Interactive Lessons
- Moon Phases Poster
- Moon/Sun/Earth Cards
- Shadow Lesson
- Sun Catcher Craft
- Role of the Sun Lessons
- Assessments- Differentiated
- End of Unit PBL Project- Seasons Book
- Presentation Activities
- Culminating Event Ideas
Don’t forget that leaving feedback earns you points toward FREE TPT purchases. I love FEEDBACK!
As always, please contact me with any questions.
Thank you so much,
Special Treat Friday, Heather McKinsey