Solar System Hands-On Activity
Objective: The purpose of this activity is to help students learn about the solar system with an interactive and engaging activity.
1. Solar System Cards
2. Introduction to the Solar System Worksheet
1. Photocopy the 12 cards located on the next two pages on card stock.
2. Cut into 12 cards.
3. Give a pair of students 1 set of cards.
4. Ask the students to organize the cards in order, starting with the Sun and ending with the object/location that is farthest from the sun. Tell the students that this is an introductory activity and that you do not expect them to know everything.
5. Give students 4-5 minutes to organize the cards.
6. Pass out the Introduction to the Solar System worksheet. Now, have them read the worksheet and re-organize the cards if needed.
7. After students answer the questions on the worksheet, have them shuffle the 12 cards.
8. Ask students to try to put the cards in order now without looking at their paper.
9. Go over the answer to the worksheet with the students.
10. Use this acronym to help students remember the order of the planets.