Also included in
- If you are overwhelmed or intimidated by teaching Astronomy or Space Science you are in luck! This bundle of resources includes everything you could ever ask for: lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, student notes, practice questions, formative assessment pieces, and creative activities. BONUS: A$140.00$170.00Save $30.00
- I LOVE Astronomy! One of my life's missions is to help more people understand the wonders of space and appreciate the Earth. I hope these Astronomy resources will find a home in your classroom and spark curiosity and excitement in your students.This zipped folder will include all of my present and$185.00$236.50Save $51.50
Everything you need to teach about Solar and Lunar Eclipses! This bundle of resources includes a lesson plan, PowerPoint, student notes, practice questions and formative assessment pieces – almost everything is editable! Through this lesson students will learn the definition of eclipse, solar eclipse, lunar eclipse and syzygy (alignment); students will discover that ancient peoples knew how to predict eclipses based on a pattern called the Saros Cycle; how a solar eclipse forms and the three different types of solar eclipses (total, partial and annular); how to safely view a solar eclipse; lunar eclipses and their formation; and, formation of the blood moon.
This is a longer lesson and can be broken apart easily to span up to three classes (e.g. day one: eclipse intro and solar eclipses; day two: lunar eclipses; day three: review activities).
Student learning goals for the Solar and Lunar Eclipses Lesson:
- compare relative positions of the Sun, Moon and Earth to produce solar and lunar eclipses
- relate eclipse occurrence to patterns of the Sun, Moon and Earth
- explain why eclipses do not occur during every revolution of the moon around Earth
Please examine the images and preview above to see how this resource can help you and your students.
In the zipped file, you will receive:
★ 2-page lesson plan (PDF and editable Microsoft Word).
★ 29-slide editable PowerPoint presentation with hyperlinks to YouTube videos.
★ 5-page editable student notes plus 2 pages of homework (PDF and editable Microsoft Word) that coordinate with the PowerPoint in a fill-in-the-blank style. There are 7 homework/practice questions (5 pages of notes, 2 pages of homework questions). A teacher version with blanks filled in is also provided in both file types.
★ 21 pages of editable task cards that can be used as formative assessments. 8 pages of quick checks to be used during class and 8 pages of retrieval practice questions to be later in the unit. For ease of use, these are included as all-different on a page, and all-the-same on a page (PDF file and editable PowerPoint file so you can add your own too!).
★ Domino Puzzle: Student practice matching terms related to eclipses with their definition. Two different sizes of the puzzle are included, along with instructions and solutions. 7 pages (PDF file). Terms included in the domino puzzle are:
ALMOST ALL RESOURCES ARE EDITABLE: The PowerPoint, lesson plans, student and teacher notes, homework, and bell ringers are all editable. Only the Eclipses Domino Puzzle is a non-editable PDF.
This lesson can further be supported by the Solar and Lunar Eclipses Doodle Note
If you are interested in using the doodle notes with these lessons your best value is to purchase the Astronomy Growing Bundle. This bundle includes all the lessons, PowerPoint presentations, practice and activities as well as all the doodle notes and anchor charts. When additional lessons are added, you can be notified by following my store.
You can see the other resources in the Astronomy all-in-one Lesson Bundle by clicking the links below. Please follow my store for notifications when new resources are added to the bundle.