***This is an introductory activity and is not designed to fully help students fully comprehend this disciplinary core idea or meet the performance expectation. However, this activity will build necessary background knowledge to help students being to make these connection. ***
This product contains:
- 1 Solar Observation Log
- 2 Lunar Observation Logs (2 and 4 week versions)
- 1 Lunar Phase Prediction Activity
- Teachers notes and recomendations
NGSS Alignment: This resource helps students to to address the following components of the Next Generation Science Standards for 6th through 8th grade.
- Disciplinary Core Ideas (NSTA Matrix Fork)
- ESS1.A: The Universe and Its Stars: Patterns of the apparent motion of the sun, the moon, and stars in the sky can be observed, described, predicted, and explained with models. (MS-ESS1-1)
- Crosscutting Concepts (NSTA Matrix Fork)
- Patterns: Patterns can be used to identify cause and effect relationships. Graphs, charts, and images can be used to identify patterns in data.
- Science and Engineering Practices (NSTA Matrix Fork)
- Asking Questions: Ask questions that arise from careful observation of phenomena, models, or unexpected results, to clarify and/or seek additional information. Ask questions to identify and/or clarify evidence and/or the premise(s) of an argument.
- Analyzing and Interpreting Data: Construct, analyze, and/or interpret graphical displays of data and/or large data sets to identify linear and nonlinear relationships. Use graphical displays (e.g., maps, charts, graphs, and/or tables) of large data sets to identify temporal and spatial relationships