Nancy Bo Flood's novel fits very well into a study of Native Americans, especially the Navajo. It is a story of family, love of country, and of finding one's true identity. It is a coming of age story that intertwines adventure and great sadness.
I loved it!
1. Guiding reading questions for comprehension and critical thinking.
2. Figurative language and vocabulary are embedded in the guide questions.
3. Writing prompts intended to help students make personal connections to the text.
4. Five comprehension quizzes.
5. One figurative language and vocabulary quiz.
6. A color sheet of a horse's head.
7. A poetry sheet for students to write a poem just as Tess, the main character, would.
8. Websites for further research.
9. Answer Keys