This is a complete series of lectures on three dimensional geometry (solids) -- all you need to do is run each of the nine independent PowerPoint slide presentations!
This package contains an entire lecture series on basic 3-dimensional geometric objects (ie, solids): Cylinders, Spheres, Cones, Pyramids, Prisms (triangular & rectangular).
This amounts to about 7 or so class periods worth of lecture. Each topic is a PowerPoint slide presentation. Each topic presents the fundamentals, formulas, diagrams, and example problems with step-by-step solutions. The second presentation (of nine total) is graphing in three dimensional coordinates, which aides students in their understanding of spatial geometry. This topic also includes the three dimensional distance formula. Three dimensional “graph” paper is available in a separate PowerPoint file, also included in this downloadable set of files. Some of the topics include “nets” of the objects to make it easier for the students to understand, visualize, and calculate the surface areas of these solids.
The topic does not require math any more advanced than basic algebra.
1) Introduction to Volume of cubes & rectangular prisms
2) 3-D graphing with volume and calculating distance (3D distance formula) along diagonal
3) Volume of right and oblique prisms; base; lateral faces; rectangular prism; triangular prism
4) Surface area of cubes and rectangular prisms; diagonals; 3-D distance formula; bases; lateral face
5) Surface area & volume of other prisms; right trapezoidal prism; right hexagonal prism
6) Surface area and volume of a cylinder
7) Surface area and volume of a sphere including an example of the surface area and volume of the Earth
8) Pyramids: edge, slant height, height, radius, volume
9) Cones: volume, slant height, radius, cone height, surface area
Solids and 3-D Geometry Lecture Slides
by Anthony J. Pultrone
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License