This download contains over 60 pages for students to practice strategies and word problems involving unknowns in all positions. All problems include numbers within 20. Many opportunities for differentiation are included. Pages for problems of each type increase in difficulty as you go along. There are 2 types of word problem pages included:
• 32 word problems with number sentence guides for students who need extra support.
• The same 32 word problems are provided without number sentence guides for students who need more of a challenge.
How to Use this Packet:
This is a printable packet that is designed so you can just print it an use it. No pre-cutting, preparing or laminating – just print and go! You can choose to use these pages in a variety of ways to keep things fresh and interesting:
• Project them on the board for guided practice.
• Use concrete manipulatives along with these pages to help students act out the problems.
• Partner Work
• Independent Practice
• Homework – several pages have descriptive examples at the top, these are perfect to assign struggling students for homework. They are also great for the parents that want to help but don’t understand how problems were solved in class.
• Extra practice, reviewing or re-teaching.
Types of Practice:
• Three Addends
• Part + Part = Whole
• Fact Families
• Word Problems (same problems in two formats for differentiation)
• Word problems with number sentence guides
• Word problems – write your own number sentence
• Double 10 frames and number lines for your centers are included in color and black & white.
Answer keys are included in the other file packaged in the zip file you downloaded.
• Use addition and subtraction within 20 to solve word problems involving situations of adding to, taking from, putting together, taking apart, and comparing, with unknowns in all positions.
• Solve word problems that call for addition of three whole numbers whose sum is less than or equal to 20.
• Apply properties of operations as strategies to add and subtract.
• Understand subtraction as an unknown-addend problem.
• Relate counting to addition and subtraction.
• Add and subtract within 20, demonstrating fluency for addition and subtraction within10.
• Determine the unknown whole number in an addition or subtraction equation relating three whole numbers.
for more addition and subtraction resources.
for more printable packs.