Purpose: The overarching goal of this lesson is to teach students how to solve algebraic equations. Students will also learn how to solve simple, 2-step algebraic equations. This lesson also teaches students how to solve algebraic inequalities. This fits into the ‘bigger picture’ because it will help all students to understand how to use the various properties they have learned to solve an equation. By the end of this unit they should have a solid background using variables to solve inequalities and graph the results.
Objectives: As a result of this lesson:
• Students will be able to solve equations by isolating the variable
• Students will be able to evaluate problems containing variables by adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing.
• Students will be able to solve 2-step equations by isolating the variable
• Students will be able to explain the process of solving two-step equations and how to check their work.
• Students will be able to solve inequalities using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
• Students will be able to create a graph of the inequality and explain how their answer makes sense using the graph.