PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This complete three-week unit contains equations that can be solved via addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Through an Oath of Algebraic Equations, a series of unique and captivating guided notes (with Ned!), and a collection of well-thought-through worksheets, it ensures that a student’s first encounter with one and two step algebraic equations will be both fun and engaging!
There is no denying it .. after their initial introduction to algebraic equations, students will use such equations for years to come as they make their way through the remainder of their mathematics courses. There is also no denying that their first encounter with algebraic equations will likely set the tone for their feelings about algebra in general. It is essential, therefore, that this introduction be a valuable one, that the students emerge from this introduction with a feeling that algebraic equations are both fun and useful, that they see them as a potentially easier way to solve mathematical problems, and that they look forward to moving into more complicated equations as their study of algebra continues both this year and in future years.
Equations With Ned – Complete One and Two-Step Equations Unit attempts to achieve exactly these goals through a combination of warm-up problems, an “Oath of Algebraic Equations”, guided notes with “Ned”, equation terminology puzzles, carefully orchestrated worksheets, and a comprehensive unit assessment. NOTE: This product addresses solving BOTH one-step AND two-step, positive number (with fractions and decimals) equations! If you would like to address ONLY ONE-STEP equations or ONLY TWO-STEP equations, you may want to purchase a different "Equations with Ned" product. There are three ways to purchase the Equations with Ned products:
1. If you wish to focus on ONE-STEP equations only, purchase Equations With Ned – Introduction to Solving One-Step Equations, which focuses on one-step, positive number equations with all operations, including those with fractions and decimals, and one-step equation word problems.
2. If you wish to focus on TWO-STEP equations only or if you have already purchased Equations With Ned – Introduction to Solving One-Step Equations and wish to move on to two-step equations, purchase Equations With Ned – Solving Two-Step Equations Unit, which focuses on two-step, positive number equations with all operations, including those with fractions and decimals, mastering equation terminology, and two-step equation word problems. It also includes a comprehensive unit assessment on all of this material.
3. If you would like to focus on ONE-STEP AND TWO-STEP equations, purchase THIS PRODUCT, Equations With Ned – Complete One and Two-Step Equations Unit. This three-week unit (a 120-page product) consists of all the materials in the one and two-step products, and is sold at a discounted price.
THIS PRODUCT, Equations With Ned – Complete One and Two-Step Equations Unit comprehensively introduces students to one and two-step equations through a recurring four-step process:
1. The students are presented with a warm-up page. This both reviews previous concepts and gets the students thinking about the next step in their discovery of equations, thereby setting the stage for the Oath and “Ned” Notes to come.
2. The students then recite the Oath of Algebraic Equations, which serves a dual purpose, as they enthusiastically pledge their allegiance to the algebraic process and are also introduced or re-introduced to the key terminology associated with algebraic equations (“inverse operation”, “in balance”, “isolate”, “solution” and more!).
3. In what is likely the most critical point of this unit on one and two-step equations, the students are then introduced to the algebraic method by Ned and His Scale. On the first day they observe Ned standing on one side of an old-fashioned balance scale with 12 pounds next to him and a large amount of weight on the other side of the scale. The teacher asks a series of questions regarding the scale, the fact that it is in balance, what we would need to do to keep the scale in balance if we removed the weights that are sitting on Ned’s side of the scale, etc. As this discussion proceeds, Ned is assigned the variable “n” and the situation is solved both by an algebraic equation and by manipulating the weights simultaneously. The students take notes on the scale and the equation while the teacher ensures that all of the vocabulary words in the Oath of Algebraic Equations are addressed in the process. Students remain engaged as they help determine Ned’s weight and emerge with a keen understanding of the process to solve an algebraic equation that involves addition.
4. From here, students move to guided practice and then independent practice solving algebraic equations that involve addition through a well-thought-out worksheet that presents these problems in different formats.
The above process then repeats itself for each of the other operations used in one-step algebraic equations, and eventually for different types of two-step equations. Students will continue to enjoy and expand their friendship with Ned as he attempts to solve his myriad of problems. He temporarily loses a leg (subtraction!) and needs to add it back on while keeping the scale in balance. He develops a Ned clone (multiplication!) and then wants to have some “me” time by pushing his clone off the scale (dividing the two Neds by two) while keeping it in balance. And he accidentally splits himself in two (division!) and needs to attach his other half back to himself (multiplying the half-Ned by two) while keeping the scale in balance. Combinations of these things then again happen to Ned as the students move to two-step equations. All of this adds up to a fun and meaningful way to begin to explore algebraic equations.
This product also consists of multiple warm-ups, notes pages, and worksheets which address fraction and decimal equations and writing and solving equations for one and two-step word problems. Two puzzles which address and solidify equation terminology ("coefficient", "constant", "terms", and many other equation vocabulary words) are also included. The product concludes with a comprehensive four page unit assessment. Detailed teacher instructions and keys are provided for each of the fourteen days of the unit, enabling the teacher to teach this unit in a straightforward and engaging manner.
NOTE 1: If you would like your students to have a solid understanding of Algebraic Expressions before attacking Algebraic Equations, please take a look at Express Yourself, the Complete Unit, which is a comprehensive unit on Algebraic Expressions. Many teachers will choose to do the unit on Algebraic Expressions prior to tackling Equations with Ned.
NOTE 2: All equations in this unit involve positive whole numbers and positive fractions and decimals only. At this level of introduction to equations, there are no negative numbers in the equations.
Good luck in your use of Equations with Ned! - Complete One and Two-Step Equations Unit!
Other Related Products:
Feel free to also check out a growing number of other products that use poetry, songs, games, worksheets, and assessments to make math fun and help students to learn a variety of common core math standards.
Click here to view Algebraic Equation Products
Click here to view Divisibility Rule Products
Click here to view Elementary to Middle School Transition Products
Click here to view Fraction Products
Click here to view Geometry Products
Click here to view Integer and Order of Operations Products
Click here to view Probability Products
Click here to view Ratio-Rate-Proportion Products
Click here to view Riddle Card Products that Help Retain Math Essentials
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback on a purchased product, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store.