Solving equations is a foundational skill needed in algebra. Being able to solve a variety of equations enables students to analyze functional relationships.
Students need practice in solving equations in order to develop fluency in uncovering unknown values.
In this group activity, students solve quadratic equations. The structure of the activity gives every student a problem to solve – and then together the group decides which of the four methods is the better one for that particular problem. Methods addressed are factoring, completing the square, the quadratic formula, and using a table or graph.
This activity is perfect for a review or wrap up of solving quadratics.
Here are the Teacher Notes for Solving Quadratics More Than One Way Group Activity:
1. Set up groups of four students.
2. Each student in the group is assigned a letter (A - D) and gets the card with that letter.
3. Students solve the problem on their card using the method specified. The lettered problems ensure that students practice all the methods. Solving methods include factoring, completing the square, the quadratic formula, and using a table or graph.
4. Then the group compares their work, their solutions. Solutions should match.
5. After checking solutions, the group discusses which method is better for that particular problem.
6. Complete 4 rounds of the activity.
Other solving quadratics activities in my store include:
Solving Quadratics BundleWe Have a Match Solving Quadratic Equations
Important Information for Customers:
BE IN THE KNOW: Discounts, freebies, and product launches
Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. I send out announcements usually during the first week of each month.
Buy SMART! TpT Credits
Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Under each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you may redeem on future purchases.
I value your feedback! Let me know other products that I might create for you! I use your feedback to spark ideas for new creations and to make improvements on existing work.
Connect with me!