Let my lyrics help you in your songwriting journey with students! These two worksheets can help a class who may be struggling with producing lyrics on their own. In the first worksheet, "Keep it Going", students are given two lines of a stanza. The other two are provided by the students. Knowledge of AABB, AABC, ABAB, ABCA, ABBA or ABCD form should be taught beforehand, but the exercise can be completed without knowing these forms by omitting that part of the directions and simply having students writing the lines. Or, perhaps you can teach them these forms by using this exercise.
- To take this activity a little further, students can pick their favorite stanza and expound on it by writing another stanza, or even a complete song!
- Students can also compile their original answers in a group to complete a song.
- This may also be completed as a class.
In the second worksheet, "Songwriting with a Given Topic", students are asked to write AB or AA lines in response to the prompt.
- To take this activity a little further, students can complete a four-line stanza or complete song on a separate sheet using the prompts given.
- Ask students to write mysterious lyrics and have the class guess who/what they wrote about.