Explore COMPOSITION, IMPROVISATION, MELODY, LYRICS and NOTATION with this fun unit—no instruments needed!!
Get your students understanding and practicing SOLFÈGE through a fun songwriting project. Motivate your students to SING ALONE, and improve their sense of BEAT and PITCH, in an enjoyable and motivating way.
This makes a great COLLABORATION for ARTS INTEGRATION. Songwriting can be used in collaboration with ANY SUBJECT. Research shows that songs an excellent way for students to learn language (ESL/EAL) and to learn content (any subject area). Your students can produce the songs that you use in your teaching, or they can use this songwriting project to show their knowledge in a SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT.
These activities are aimed at students in Kindergarten, Grade 1 and Grade 2, but can be used with any grade levels that are working with Solfège.
This download includes:
- Teacher’s guide, complete with lesson ideas and links to Standards
- Ideas for Music Centers that can be used throughout the year
- Essential Questions
- Formative and summative assessment ideas
- Templates and manipulatives
- Composition examples
- Peer feedback and self-reflection worksheet
- Additional ideas for extension and follow-up
This plan addresses several of the new Music Standards (Cr1, Cr2, Cr3, Pr5, Pr6) under the strands of Creating and Performing.
Learning outcome possibilities:
• Students will generate musical ideas with guidance. (Core Standard)
• Students will organize musical ideas using iconic notation. (Core Standard)
• Students will read and notate simple melodies using sol and mi.
• Students will demonstrate a final version of personal musical ideas, using singing voice and Solfège hand signs. (Core Standard)
• Students will follow a creative process of planning, refining, and documenting.
• Students will sing an original melody alone (or in a pair).
• Students will understand how to match syllables to rhythm in order to compose simple lyrics.
• Students will reflect on their practice and performance in order to improve the quality of their composition and/or performance.
Please contact me for a Letter-sized version if you wish to use that size.
Created by Janine Slaga, janinesmusicroom.com
Thank you for your purchase! If you enjoy my products, please leave some positive feedback and earn TpT credits. For more teaching ideas, resources, and lesson plans, please visit Janine's Music Room!
Copyright © Janine Slaga, all rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. This product is intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.