Grade 5 Critical Area: 5.NF.1 and 5.NF.2
Develop fluency with addition and subtraction of fractions.
Allow students to talk, reason, and persist in solving. They learn to make sense of the word problem in order to determine how to sort them.
• Teacher explanation page
• Answer Sheets
• 2 pages of word problems to sort for Level 1 No Regrouping
• 2 pages of word problems to sort for Level 2 Regrouping
• Student partner paired Work page to use as an assessment piece.
This resource was designed to be used after direct instruction to allow students to discuss and reason with word problems and real world applications of adding and subtracting fractions. This goes beyond teaching key words or clue words in math problems. Instead this activity requires students to read and discuss what is happening in the problem, then decide the operation needed to solve. Some problems require addition, some require subtraction and others are two step problems that require both.
This is aligned with Common Core standards and Mathematical practices.
1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
3. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
6. Attend to precision.
Great tool to allow for differentiation and allow the teacher to work with small groups.
I spend one day in class to allow them to discuss and sort the cards, then they solve them the next day and use the partner pair check sheet.
www.mycutegraphics.com was used for the clipart cover