Goal: Sort picture cards into categories to gain a sense of the concepts the categories represent.
There are many ways to use these playing cards:
1. You can give the students just some of the pictures at a time (and some of the categories).
2. You can give the students all the categories and all the pictures and talk about how most pictures fit into more than one category.
3. You can give the students the pictures and not the categories (to allow them to come up with their own categories).
4. Another variation of this activity is finding pictures that match 2 categories. For example: “animals” and “in the sky” will yield pictures of birds.
5. This activity can be used in a whole group setting, small group, individual, or as a center.