The purpose of this packet is to provide students an introduction to a variety of reading and writing skills. I use these sorts with my students at the beginning of a unit, usually after the first or second time that I have taught the concept or skill. The sorts provide students simple examples that require them to start analyzing words and text based on what was just taught lesson. Simply, it gets the students to think about what is and is not an example of the specific skill or concept.
1. Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Sentences
2. Complete vs. Incomplete Sentences
3. Noun vs. Verb
4. First Person vs. Third Person Sentences
5. Sentences ending with a Period vs. Exclamation Mark
6. Matching Supporting Details with the Correct Supporting Details