Learning about sound waves is a big part of the 1st grade Next Gen Science Standards. This 4 week mini-unit give students hands on activities, STEM challenges and literacy connections to help them understand the big idea, "Sound is made of up of vibrations."
See this unit in action including all of the resources used for this unit on the blog!
This is part of a 20% OFF NEXT GEN BUNDLE
that includes these units:
Sun Moon and Stars
Organisms (coming soon)
Some of these activities are included in my Integrated Unit on American Contributors which includes a short study of Alexander Graham Bell. However, there are many, many other sound activities included in this sound unit besides the few from the American Contributors unit. If you own the American Contributors unit and would like to know specific differences, feel free to email me at email@example.com! :)
Included in this packet:
• unit outline with the big idea and essential question for each week
• weekly detailed lesson plans
• 5 objective cards plus a blank objective card
• 3 writing prompts
• 12 vocab cards with matching definition cards
• sound fact and opinion sort
• sound vocab word find
• sound vocab crossword puzzle
• sound station recording sheet (4 versions of this based on different instruments. 1 of the versions is a template for using your own instruments)
• sound walk recording sheet
• 3 science lab recording sheets
• STEM connections: DIY musical instrument (full color slides for your interactive white board for each step of the process...some have multiple versions to help you customize to your needs, my idea plan printable, my published idea printable)
• Anchor Chart Templates in full color and BW: Sounds we hear, describing sound, I know about sound, Sounds we make, sounds we make (mouth), sounds we make (hands), sounds we make (feet), Helen Keller, Invent Me (steps for STEM project)
Here are links to all 6 of my Common Core units plus a year long PACING GUIDE for first grade!
a Bundle of Year Long Science and Social Studies
Copyright Whitney Shaddock, 2017, licensed for one classroom use only. Please use the multiple licensing option for more than one classroom use!
Follow My TPT Store
| Follow My Blog