What educators are saying
Update 10/2022: Real Mouth Photos are now included.
Update 07/2022: Boho Color scheme now included.
Reading research has confirmed how important it is for students to learn explicit phonetic skills. This classroom resource is worth the wall space! There are so many options here you can hang what your specific program or sequence needs. Options span from basic kindergarten phonics skills to advanced skills found in third grade. These are also great for classrooms serving students needing support or intervention.
I have personally seen my student's spelling and reading skills benefit from having a sound wall anchor in the classroom. It is color coded so students can visually differentiate skills.
- L Blends: bl, cl, fl, gl, pl, sl
- R Blends: br, cr, dr, fr, gr, pr, tr
- S Blends: sc, sk, sn, sp, st, sw, sm
- Special Blends: tw, dw
- Final Blends: st, sk, sp, nd, nt, nk, mp, rd, ld, lp, rk, lt, lf, pt, ft, ct, xt, lk
- Short Vowels: a,e,i,o,u (with or without symbols)
- Long Vowels: a,e,i,o,u (with or without symbols)
- Digraphs: th, sh, ch, ph, wh, qu, ck
- Voiced and Unvoiced /th/
- Long A: a_e, ai, ay
- Long E: e_e, ea, ee, ey, ea as short e (bread), ie as long e (cookie)
- Long I: i_e, igh, ie
- Long O: o_e, oa, ow, oe
- Long U: u_e, ui, ue
- 3 Letter Blends: scr, shr, spl, spr, squ, str, thr, tch, nch
- R-Controlled Vowels: ar, or, ie, er, ur
- Y Vowel: y as /i/ sound, y as /e/ sound
- Soft Sounds: soft c, soft g
- Sounds of ed: /d/, /t/, and /ed/ or /id/
- Spelling of c and k
- Double Consonants: ll, zz, ff, ss, bb, dd, tt, cc, pp, rr, mm, nn
- Long Vowel Combinations: ing, ink, ild, ind, ang, ank, all, old, ost, olt, oll
- Other Common Patterns: oo (book), dge, ck, s as /z/ sound, s as /zh/, final syllable le, t as /sh/, ti as /sh/, initial gh (ghost), final gh (laugh), alk as short o (walk), wa as short o (water), and wor as /er/
- Diphthongs- oy, oi, oo, ew, au, aw, ow, ou
- Silent Letters - kn, mb, gn, wr
- Advanced Vowels: ei as long a (reindeer), ea as long a (break), eigh as long a (eight), ey as long a (prey), y_e as long i (type), y as short i (crystals), ou (group), ei as long e (ceiling)
- Schwa Sounds - a, e, i, o (with or without symbols)
- Multisyllabic Words: open and closed
- 7 Syllable Types: open, closed, silent e, vowel teams, r-controlled, diphthongs, stable -le
- Special Requests
- Foundations and Jolly Phonics alignment is included in file #6 "Extra Resources."
- Suffixes file with the 22 most commonly occurring suffixes
- Editable Headers
- Blank Sound Cards
- Mouth Formation Picture Cues
- "Lock" cards to hide your sounds until you teach them.
- Black Line
- Vowel Valley
- Articulation Cards
- Mouth Formation Cards
- All Red, Pink, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, Teal, or Black
- Quick Print (to print exactly as pictured)
This is a large file and comes in a zipped folder with several compressed files. Please make sure you know how to extract, or unzip folders. For optimum downloading success, you will want the most up-to-date version of a PDF reader installed. Do not open the folder from your browser, or preview view. Download your purchase first, and then open the files directly from your device before printing.
Looking to ditch your word wall, but still want an anchor for sight words? Check out "Sound City Bandits."
Do you need some additional resources to help support the phonetic skills you are teaching? Check out "Phenomenal Phonics."