- Vowel Valley
- Consonant Chart
- Individual Sound Wall
- Sound Wall Labels
- Alphabet Line
Help your readers and writers move from speech to print. This sound wall with real photographs will help you teach and reinforce phonemes and graphemes throughout the year. Add your students' mouth/tongue/teeth placement photos above each card to add an extra helpful visual. *Mouth placement pictures are not included in this file as I cannot sell photographs of student faces. Please contact me at the email below if you would like recommendations for mouth placement pictures.*
Graphemes listed under each image are organized by their frequency in English. See Hanna's research for more information.
Inform yourself about sound walls:
New to using sound walls? Read all about getting started!
Want to see a variety of sound walls in schools? Read about each grade level.
Sound wall reminders for you and your colleagues
Confused about all the sound wall options online? These tips will help you vet them.
6 PDFs are included:
1. Sound Wall PDF without Virgules - large phoneme/grapheme cards intended for wall displays. Organized by vowels and consonants. No virgules (slashes) included for the sound. Only graphemes are listed.
2. Sound Wall PDF with Virgules - large phoneme/grapheme cards intended for wall displays. Organized by vowels and consonants. Virgules (slashes) with sounds at the top of the cards, /k/, before the graphemes.
3. Sound Wall Labels - titles and categories for each part of the vowel valley and consonant wall intended to be used for wall displays
4. Individual Sound Wall PDF without Virgules - intended to be printed back to back and laminated or glued on a folder for individual student use in the classroom, small group learning, tutoring, 1-1 remediation, data keeping, etc. No virgules (slashes) included for the sound. Only graphemes are listed.
5. Individual Sound Wall PDF with Virgules - intended to be printed back to back and laminated or glued on a folder for individual student use in the classroom, small group learning, tutoring, 1-1 remediation, data keeping, etc. Virgules (slashes) with sounds at the top of the cards, /k/, before the graphemes.
6. Alphabet Line - corresponding ABC line for across your classroom wall. Keyword pictures used for each letter match the keyword pictures on the sound wall. Vowels include options for just a short vowel picture or short and long vowel pictures.
*Various options are included for each phoneme card, as compared in the preview file. Be sure to print the one that will best fit your student, school, or district needs. The product is image heavy and will use a lot of color ink. Check before you print to ensure you are printing the pages you prefer. You will see different options throughout the product. Red font indicates a short vowel.
- phoneme listed first in virgules / /, grapheme(s) listed second, red font for short vowels, black font for all other cards
- phoneme listed first in virgules / /, grapheme(s) listed second, black font for all cards
- no phoneme listed, only grapheme(s) listed, red font for short vowels, black font for all other cards
- no phoneme listed, only grapheme(s) listed, black font for all cards
*Below are the images for each phoneme card. Some cards have two options - you choose your preference before printing. I have added descriptions below to help you clearly understand the image before purchasing.
Vowel Valley images:
/ē/ - feet
/ĭ/ - itch (boy scratching)
/ā/ - acorn
/ĕ/ – edge (cliff), eddy (swirl of water)
/ī/ - ice
/ŏ/ – octopus, olive
/ŭ/ – up (street sign)
/aw/ - saw (tool)
/ō/ - open (window)
/oo/ - book
/ū/ – moon
/yū/ - unicorn
/ou/ - ouch (putting on a band aid)
/er/ - bird
/ar/ - car
/or/ - fork
/oi/ - coin (US coin & Canadian coin options)
/ch/ - chair
schwa - banana
*Individual sound wall update - Two options are also included for the /o/ /aw/ vowel merger - one option has the merger depicted and one does not. These two sounds can sound identical or very similar in many dialects. Choose the option that best fits your dialect of English.
Consonant Wall images:
/b/ - bat (animal)
/p/ - pig
/t/ - turtle
/d/ - dog
/k/ - kite, cat
/g/ - game
/j/ - jam
/m/ - monkey
/n/ - nest
/ng/ - ring
/f/ - fish
/v/ - violin
/th/ (unvoiced) – thumb
// (voiced) – feather
/s/ - snake
/z/ - zebra
/sh/ - shell
/zh/ - treasure (chest)
/h/ - horse
/wh/ - whale
/w/ - wagon
/y/ - yak
/l/ - leaf
/r/ - rabbit
/x/ - fox
/k/ + /w/ - quilt
This is an image HEAVY file. Please try printing from Adobe if you have any issues. Image heavy files can transfer slowly to wireless printers depending on your wireless internet speed. It may take your printer longer to print. Try printing just the pages you need or one page at a time. You may also wish to send this to Staples or Office Depot to print.
If you have any questions BEFORE buying, please email me at email@example.com.
I look forward to your feedback!
Your feedback earns you credits that you can spend on future TpT purchases! It’s free money for classroom resources. :)