Sound Waves Phonics - Read and Write the Room
Are you using the Sound Waves Phonics program in your classroom? Do you want extra resources to consolidate your students learning? These Reading and Writing the room activities are a fun way for students to practise their spelling.
These Read and Write the room activities also work with any Spelling or Phonics program.
Please note that the first 16 words in each set are from the spelling lists from the Year 1 Sound Waves student book. Each unit has a variety of additional words to reinforce the sound. Please note that this is not a ‘Sound Waves’ endorsed program.
The units are based on a Phonemic approach where the sound can be located at the beginning, middle or end. So the words in each set can be found in a variety of locations.
My students love the activity ‘Read and Write the Room’
Reading and writing the room is a fun independent activity.
1. Place the reading cards around the classroom.
2. Give each student a clipboard and a recording sheet. There are two differentiated sheets, so you can easily cater for your students abilities.
3. Words need to be sorted into various types, eg. Beginning, middle or ending sounds. See the top of the tables on the recording sheet. Make sure students know what they need to do. This gives them a purpose and they actually have to read and think about the words.
4. Students walk around the room to read the words and to record the words on their recording sheet.
5. Then students have to read and check their words with a partner.
• Literacy Centre Activities
• You can also use the cards as flashcards
• Sorting into Initial Sounds, Medial or Final sounds
• Syllable sort
• Sounds sort
• Rhyming activities
• Alphabetical order
• Print two copies for a game of Snap, Memory or Go fish.
Set 3 - Units 20-28
• Unit 20 – p and r Sound 16 pages
• Unit 21 – ar and a Sound 15 pages
• Unit 22 – s, ss, se, x (ks) and c Sound 15pages
• Unit 23 – ir and ur Sound 13 pages
• Unit 24 – t and tt Sound 14 pages
• Unit 25 – or and a Sound 17 pages
• Unit 26 – v, w and u Sound 16 pages
• Unit 27 – oo and u Sound 13 pages
• Unit 28 – y Sound 14 pages
Total Pages 133
To consolidate their skills why not use my matching fluency strips. Where students can read their spelling words in context.
Fluency Strips Sound Waves Set 3
Please check out my other Sound Waves Read and Write the Room units
Set 1 - Units 2-10
• Unit 2 - b Sound 16 pages
• Unit 3 - a Sound 21 pages
• Unit 4 – k, c, qu, ck & x Sound 16 pages
• Unit 5 - e Sound 18 pages
• Unit 6 – d and dd Sound 14 pages
• Unit 7 - i Sound 17 pages
• Unit 8 – f and ff Sound 17 pages
• Unit 9 – o and a Sound 16 pages
• Unit 10 – g and gg Sound 16 pages
151 Pages in total
Set 2 - Units 11-19
• Unit 11 – u and o Sound 16 pages
• Unit 12 – h and j Sound 15 pages
• Unit 13 – ai, ay and a_e Sound 15 pages
• Unit 14 – l and ll Sound 19 pages
• Unit 15 – e, ee and ea Sound 16 pages
• Unit 16 – m and mm Sound 15 pages
• Unit 17 – i_e and y Sound 14 pages
• Unit 18 – n and ng Sound 15 pages
• Unit 19 – ai, ay and a_e Sound 15 pages
140 Pages in total
Don’t forget to follow me to get notified of when the last set is ready.
Set 4 - Units 29-36
• Unit 29 – oo Sound as in boot (oo and ew) 16 pages
• Unit 30 – z and s Sound (z, zz, and s) 14 pages
• Unit 31 – ou and ow Sound 14 pages
• Unit 32 – ch and sh Sound 17 pages
• Unit 33 – oy, oi, eer and ear Sound 17 pages
• Unit 34 – th Sound (th as in thong and th as a in feather) 15 pages
• Unit 35 – air, are Sound 15 pages
• Unit 36 – er Sound 14 pages
Total Pages 122
Some helpful hints when using TpT:
1. Follow people whose products you like or suits your students. You can follow someone by clicking on the star button on the top right section of the store. You will then get a notification of any new products 50% off for the first week and any sales. Very important.
2. You can earn TpT credits by simply leaving feedback about a product. These credits work like money and you can then claim them when you make a purchase. So you get a discount and even free products.
So if you like what you see, please follow me and don’t forget to leave some feedback. That would make my day. ☺