Get your students thinking critically and creatively about poetry, and specifically the role of figurative language, with this lesson plan.
- Analyze Edgar Allen Poe's "The Bells"
- Take a role with the whole class in a choral reading that embraces many sound techniques in Poe's work and creates a community performance
- Use the same skills to complete an analysis and careful reading of "We Wear the Mask" by Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Complete a creative writing exercise to develop a poem draft for a "poem with many voices"
- Guide critical thinking with careful questions
- Facilitate activities with clear, step-by-step instructions
- Model vocabulary-rich and evidence-driven analysis with answers to all prompts
- Lead meaningful collaboration and participation in a class endeavor