Get your students thinking critically and creatively about poetry, and specifically the role of sound, with this lesson plan.
- Practice dramatic reading of a nonsensical poem with a partner to explore the connection between mood and sound
- Reveal prior knowledge -- OR -- improve their ability to hear distinct sounds in English with two rounds of the "Sounds in English" trivia game
- Analyze "Chanson d'Automne" by Paul Verlaine (French) and "Soneto" by Garcilaso de la Vega (Spanish) to practice focusing on sound instead of meaning
- Try a creative writing exercise to develop a poem using a new set of foreign words
- Guide critical thinking with careful questions
- Facilitate activities with clear, step-by-step instructions
- Model vocabulary-rich and evidence-driven analysis with answers to all prompts