This science package includes lessons and activities for SC.7-5. The Chemical Nature of Matter. Within the unit package, you'll find the lessons and activities I use in my own classroom.
SC.7-5. The Chemical Nature of Matter: The student will demonstrate an understanding of the classifications and properties of matter and the changes that matter undergoes.
- Atoms Elements and Compounds Digital INB·Speed Quizzing - Chemistry Introduction Unit - Atoms, Elements, and Compounds
- Properties Density and Classification of Matter Digital Boom Cards
7-5.1. Recognize that matter is composed of extremely small particles called atoms.
- Lesson - Atomic Model
- Lesson - Atomic Structure and Notation
- Atoms - History and Theory – Scavenger Hunt
7-5.2. Classify matter as an element, compound, or mixture on the basis of its composition.
- Lesson - Matter Classification and Particle Theory
- Particle Theory - Lab Station Activity
7-5.3. Compare the physical properties of metals and nonmetals. AND
7-5.9. Compare physical properties of matter (including melting or boiling point, density, and color) to the chemical property of reactivity with a certain substance (including the ability to burn or to rust). AND
7-5.10. Compare physical changes (including changes in size, shape, and state) to chemical changes that are the result of chemical reactions (including changes in color or temperature and formation of a precipitate or gas).
- Lesson - Physical and Chemical Properties and Changes
- Lesson – Density
- Physical and Chemical Properties Changes - Lab Station
- Physical and Chemical Changes - Digital Scavenger Hunt
7-5.4. Use the periodic table to identify the basic organization of elements and groups of elements (including metals, nonmetals, and families).
- Lesson - Periodic Table
- The Periodic Table - Task Cards Activity
- Elements and the Periodic Table – Scavenger Hunt
7-5.5. Translate chemical symbols and the chemical formulas of common substances to show the component parts of the substances (including NaCl [table salt], H2O [water], C6H12O6 [simple sugar], O2 [oxygen gas], CO2 [carbon dioxide], and N2 [nitrogen gas]).
- Lesson - Chemical Symbols, Formulas, and Compounds
7-5.6. Distinguish between acids and bases and use indicators (including litmus paper, pH paper, and phenolphthalein) to determine their relative pH.
- Lesson - Acids and Bases
- Acids Bases and Neutralization Lab Station Activity
- Cleaning Up Acid Spills – Reading
- Ocean Acidification – Reading
- Rust-Proofing - Reading
7-5.7. Identify the reactants and products in chemical equations.
- Lesson - Chemical Reactions
- Chemical Reactions - Digital INB
7-5.8. Explain how a balanced chemical equation supports the law of conservation of matter.
- Lesson – Balancing
- Chemical Reactions and Balancing Equations - Lab Station Activity
- Balancing Chemical Equations - Digital INB
- 4 weeks of teaching resources
- 9 Lessons
- 3 Digital Interactive Notebooks
- 3 Digital Scavenger Hunt Activities
- 3 Science Comprehension Readings
- 4 Lab Station Activities
- 3 Additional Activities
- The lesson (student and teacher versions of the presentation)
- Google and Office-ready versions
- Embedded videos
- A student lesson handout as a document
The remaining South Carolina Grade 7 Science Standards are also available and can be found below:
- South Carolina State Standards - Science Grade 7 - SC.7-5. The Chemical Nature of Matter
- South Carolina State Standards-Science: Grade 7 - SC.7-4. Ecology: Biotic and Abiotic
- South Carolina State Standards-Science: Grade 7 - SC.7-3.Human Body Systems & Disease
- South Carolina State Standards for Science: Grade 7 - SC.7-2. Cells and Heredity
- South Carolina State Standards for Science: Grade 7 - SC.7-1. Scientific Inquiry
If you'd like to gain access to ALL of the standards at a significant reduction in price, please check out my South Carolina Grade 7 Science Standards Bundle.
Google, Office, and Distance Learning Ready
- These lessons include both Office and Google formats for ALL resources. The presentations are in PowerPoint and Google Slides while all documents contain Word and Google Doc versions.
- Your resources are perfect for distance learning and integrate seamlessly with Google Classroom as I've included a link that will automatically create a copy of the resources and put them directly into your Google Drive with one click.
- Purchase --> Open --> Click --> Assign to your students
What are the student versions and how do they encourage student understanding?
The student versions of the presentations contain multiple blanks that need to be filled in throughout the lesson. These blanks are conveniently underlined and bolded on the teacher copy. I have found this to be the most effective means of keeping my students engaged and active without having them write everything out. This also leaves more time for discussion and activities.
I also have a range of assignments and lessons/units from other grade levels at my store. Please CLICK HERE to have a look around and don’t forget to follow if you like what you see.
Also, please visit my blog Teach With Fergy for my thoughts on teaching, learning, and everything in between.