Are you teaching your students about the 3 principal Native American tribes of South Carolina (Cherokee, Catawba, and Yemassee)? If so, this packet is for you! The entire packet is aligned to South Carolina's third grade social studies standards.
This packet is written in a narrative format as if a Native American child were speaking to your students. Along the way, your students will be taking notes as they learn about the lifestyles of each tribe (answer key is provided). Your students will also be able to color pictures of Native American children and artifacts found on each page of notes.
In my class, we do the notes together. We read the notes out loud as a class. As we come to the blanks, I tell them what to write (I write the answers on the SMARTboard). This is a good way to keep all students engaged. It's also a good way to incorporate shared reading!
In this packet, you will also find the following activities:
1. Compare and contrast- Your students will compare and contrast two tribes using a Venn Diagram.
2. Sorting Activity- Your students will read and cut out characteristics of each tribe and sort these characteristics under the correct headings: Cherokee, Catawba, Yemassee.
3. Village Illustration- Your students will choose one of the tribes and illustrate that tribe's village. A rubric is provided.
4. Word Search- You students will search for important vocabulary words.
5. Word Work- Your students will match words with box patterns.
The cool thing about this packet is that it becomes a study guide after I grade it. :-)
This is now included in my South Carolina's Native Americans Bundle:
South Carolina's Native Americans Bundle
The Handout Factory