Products in this Bundle (4)
This resource contains 4 space activities - 2 Lab Stations and 2 Digital Scavenger Hunts. The activities are geared towards high school students as well as strong middle school students and will SAVE YOU 40% vs. purchasing the resources individually.
Fully editable, no prep, no formatting, no issues. Simply download, print (or upload to your class site), and you’re all set!
Included In Your Bundle
Digital Scavenger Hunts
Lab Station Activities
Lab Station Activity Overview
Each station not only offers a unique opportunity to test your students' knowledge (offer an opinion, answer questions based on a video or reading, draw, etc.) but also provides a fantastic learning opportunity where your kids are learning through assessment. Each station comes with a description card while some also contain more detailed instructions, a reading, questions to answer, etc. Students are equipped with a recording sheet (passport) to write their answers. There is almost no prep for you. Simply print the cards, lay them out around the room and you're all set. An answer key is also provided where applicable.
Bonus Activities: To ensure your students don't have any downtime between stations, each of your lab station activities also include a 10-word word scramble and word search, both with an answer key. You can use them as part of their mark, as a bonus so it's not mandatory, etc. However you choose to use it, it will ensure that your students are always busy and never idle. Note: For stronger classes, I give the word scramble and for weaker ones, the word search.
How do the Lab Stations work? Each station is specially designed to be a unique complement to the material while at the same time, provide a valuable learning experience. Below is an overview of how each station works. In your activity, each will be tailored to the specific content.
Station 1: Get Hands-On – using their creative skills, students are required to draw or build.
Station 2: Research – using a classroom computer or their own device, students must research a specific question/issue surrounding the topic.
Station 3: Explain yourself – students write down an opinion to a question in paragraph form.
Station 4: Rest Station - students can use this time to catch up on work they didn't have time to complete at a previous station or prepare themselves for an upcoming one.
Station 5 - Applicability reading – students read a short passage from an article, website, etc. which directly connects the classroom content to a real-life application.
Station 6: Test your knowledge – students answer 5 multiple choice questions than provide a written explanation for how/why they came to their conclusions.
Station 7: Learn from the expert – using a classroom computer or their own device, students must watch a short video clip and answer the associated questions. They may stop, rewind and restart as often as they like during the time frame.
Station 8 - Rest Station.
Station 9: Become the question master – Students must create 2 multiple-choice questions, 2 true/false questions and 1 short answer question. Students must also supply the answers.
These station cards are meant to be used as a lab activity but can also be utilized in a review task before a test or a quiz. Used either way, your students will love it! I know mine do and I'm telling you from first-hand experience as I've used this activity in my own class.
Digital Scavenger Hunt Overview
Digital, Device-Based resources that will get your kids out of their seats, engaged, utilizing technology, and collaborating to solve real problems and test their knowledge. These activities work well across grades as a means of assessment, review, and/or instruction.
This activity is the coolest thing I've created and your kids are going to love it, mine do. Think of a scavenger hunt, then add devices (Smartphones, Chromebooks, Laptops, or Tablets), engaged students, and learning through assessment and you have this resource.
Quick Disclaimer. In order to use this activity, your classroom must have at least 1 device per 3 students. Smartphones, Chromebooks, Laptops, and Tablets will all work perfectly. The wording and delivery make this resource perfect for a wide range of grade levels. If for some reason you feel this hunt isn't perfect for your classroom, I'm happy to refund your purchase no questions asked.
Scavenger Hunt User Comments:
- "Just what I was looking for! Perfect!! Great way to get the students up and keep them engaged!"
- "My kids loved it!"
- "Everything I've purchased from Teaching with Fergy is AWESOME!! "
- "So excited to use this instead of my old videos and boring powerpoints!!"
- "The students learned a lot and were very engaged in the lesson. Thank you."
- We did "Physical and Chemical Changes" in class yesterday! My students loved it!"
- "I can't wait to share these with my students! They love this QR thing! :-)"
- I used this half way through my unit so that the students can go through it to help consolidate some important concepts!
- "Fantastic! I love this scavenger hunt, I am changing my schedule for tomorrow's astronomy class and we are definitely doing the scavenger hunt."
- "Really awesome resource."
Here's how you implement them:
• Print the QR codes and place them around the room
• Place your students into groups
• Let them loose! They move from Location to Location as they complete their tasks. Each Task is assigned by scanning the QR code and there are 5 Tasks per Scavenger Hunt Activity.
• Have them submit their answers directly to your email via a form on my website.
• Lets your students utilize their devices
• Cuts down on wasted paper
• Combines learning with assessment
• Is a lot of fun
• Comes in both Word and PDF formats
Each Hunt is different and offers a unique way for your students to explore the topic. From Hunt-to-Hunt, possible tasks your students will face include:
• Video analysis
• Fully automated and marked Quiz
• Finish the story
• Start the story
• News article
• Word Scramble
• Short answer
• Web research